Monday, September 17, 2007

Monday Morning You Look So Fine: Saul Williams

Though I should point out, this is as much a post about Tumi's lyrics as it is about those of Saul's. But there will be more of that soon... for now, the lyrics in mind were mentioned in answering a question I put to Tumi backstage: Why does he never rock a cordless? Later, I couldn't remember that they were Saul's (and its not as if he is some distant connection to make... I have seen him perform them at Oppikoppi). But I had Black Thought's words stuck in my head. So here they both are.

"Telegram to Hip Hop: Dear Hip Hop .(stop). This shit has gone too far. (stop). Please see that mixer and turntables are returned to Kool Herc. (stop). The ghettos are dancing off beat. (stop). The master of ceremonies have forgotten that they were once slaves and have neglected the occasion of this ceremony. (stop). Perhaps we should not have encouraged them to use cordless microphones, for they have walked too far from the source and are emitting a lesser frequency (stop). Please inform all interested parties that cash nor murder have been added to the list of elements. (stop). We are discontinuing our current line of braggadocio, in light of the current trend in "realness". (stop). As an alternative, we will be confiscating weed supplies and replacing them with magic mushrooms, in hopes of helping niggas see beyond their reality. (stop). Give my regards to Brooklyn." - Saul Williams

"... I plug in the mic, draw like a gunfight, I never use a cordless, or stand applaudless..." - The Roots


Later.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home