Tuesday, January 08, 2008

"Made and painted from life."



Zander and I have been caught in discussions of technique... for all my dedication to the approach and ritual of a documentarian, I find myself recently influenced by his parodies of Modernism and other paths. Finding reference and focus in the words, works and ideals of painters, even as Zander points to my work as "painterly" at times. This, for example, written of Caravaggio:
... the characteristic look of the work of Caravaggio — night-time setting, dramatic lighting, ordinary people used as models, honest description from nature.
Even words he wrote himself:
All works, no matter what or by whom painted, are nothing but bagatelles and childish trifles... unless they are made and painted from life, and there can be nothing... better than to follow nature.
Understandably, Zander is the guy I sent an sms to when I first walked alone into a room in the Tate Modern and realised what I was looking at; though, Bacon has more reference for him in the chaos of a studio, or even viewed in black and white (as this was originally shot, sideways, under my Oasis jacket, without permission).

Later.




0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home